Cloumage Ice Cream
This recipe is featured at Little Moss in the wonderful historic village of Padanaram, just a few miles east of Westport. Pastry Chef Ricky Dare came up with it and shared (thank you!) to the delight of many, many who have requested this.
Author: Barbara Hanley
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup Cloumage
- 1½ cups Heavy cream
- 1½ cups Milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 11 ounces sugar
- Use the best milk, cream, and eggs you can find.
- "Start by scalding milk and cream in a heavy bottom sauce pot on medium heat. While that is heating mix together sugar and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Beat them together until they are smooth and pale yellow then fold in 1 cup Cloumage.
- "Once the milk and cream has scalded remove it from heat and slowly ladle about half of it into the egg and sugar mixture while whisking. Once all of the sugar is dissolved put everything back into the pot on LOW heat until it begins to thicken and coat the back of a spoon. If you have a thermometer it should be 160 degrees. It is very important to stir occasionally during this time so the bottom does not burn and everything cooks evenly.
- "Remove from heat and chill immediately.
- "(Also very good for dipping cookies in)"